5) Players Hitting referees – c’mon, this is just inherently funny (at least when it’s by accident).
4) Dallas’ coach, Avery Johnson, accidentally grabbing Josh Howard by the balls, while trying to make a sudden substitution in the dying seconds of overtime in a game against the spurs, when the Mavs had just a 5 point lead.
3) Charles Barkley spitting on an 8-year-old girl back when he was with the 76ers. Barkley tried spitting on a heckler, but instead hit the nearby girl. While Barkley was quick to apologize, he then just as quickly backed away from his apology in baffling and hilarious fashion.
2) Malice at the Palace. Although this is still probably the most shocking moment in NBA history, it’s also one of the funniest – just look at it from the perspective of comedian, Bill Burr. Players finally retaliating to abusive fans was a long-time coming, and, damn, it was funny to see out-of-shape civilians thinking they could beat up professional athletes and subsequently getting their asses kicked.
1) Sam Cassell’s Big Ball Dance. The NBA might not like it, but the Big Ball Dance is and always will be a staple of the game of basketball, made legendary by great clutch shooter Sam Cassell. He might not have invented it, but, damn, he made it his own!